Fontanamare or Funtanamare (Funtan’e Mari in Sardinian) is a location in the Municipality of Gonnesa, in the south-west of Sardinia. The area of Funtanamare once was a place of mining, of which some structures and plants are still in the area. Today, however, Funtanamare is a beautiful long beach, one of the largest beaches in Southern Sardinia. The beach of Funtanamare is about 4 km long and is subdivided, by convention, with the names of the access points to the beach: Porto Paglia, Punt’e S’arena, Spiaggia di Mezzo (Middle Beach or Plagemesu in Sardinian) and Fontanamare. The area of Porto Paglia is a great spot for surfing. The area of Funtanamare, instead, is a good kitesurfing spot with the wind of Mistral (NW). Kitesurfing Funtanamare, another of the best Sardinia kite-spots.
On this page you could find useful information on the kitesurfing spot of Funtanamare:
- Kitesurfing Funtanamare: description of the kite-spot.
- Kitesurfing Lessons in Funtanamare, Sardinia.
- Directions to Funtanamare.
- Kite Spots Near Funtanamare.
Kitesurfing Funtanamare: description of the kite-spot
- Kite-spot name: Funtanamare.
- Location: Municipality of Gonnesa, Province of Carbonia Iglesias, South Sardinia.
- Kite-spot type: Sandy-Rocky, Wave.
- Minimum Required Level: intermediate / advanced.
- Best winds: Mistral (NW) – Ponente (W).
- Wind for waves: Mistral (NW) – Ponente (W)
- Water temperature: 15 °C (winter) – 25 °C (summer).
- Wind range: 10 – 40 knots.
- Facilities: parking, Bar.
- Distance from the centre of Cagliari: 55 Km.
- Distance from parking: <1 min.
Wide sandy beach, the kite-spot of Funtanamare in the south-west of Sardinia is a wave kite-spot especially with the wind of Mistral (NW). This kite-spot could work even with the wind of Ponente (W) and Libeccio (SW).
Although Funtanamare is a sandy beach, in the first ten or twenty meters of sea bed, there are rocks. The presence of some rocks in the bottom, at about 100 meters away from the beach, create good waves: 20 knots of Mistral can create waves of 2-3 meters.
Also during the summer season, during the strong windy days, kitesurf in Funtanamare is tolerated.
Because of the strong water flows, because of the waves and because of the characteristics of Funtanamare, this kite-spot is recommend to advanced kiters only.
Kitesurfing Lessons in Funtanamare, Sardinia
As said before, Funtanamare is one of the wave Sardinia kitesurfing spots.
That is why, it is not possible to have kitesurfing Lessons in this kite-spot. The best suggestion for the beginners and for people that like to learn to Kitesurf in Sardinia or to improve their kitesurfing level is to go to the nearby kite-spot of Punta Trettu , considered the best kite-spot of Europe with flat and shallow water and steady winds.
Directions to Funtanamare
From Cagliari get the Strada Statale 130 (SS 130, State Road) to Iglesias. Few kilometers before Iglesias, get the SS 126 till the signs to Funtanamare (approximatly 10 km from the beginning).
Note: After the tunnel pay attention to the autovelox (Speed Cameras).
Kite Spots Near Funtanamare
Near Funtanamare there are the following kitesurfing spot of Sardinia:
- The Kite Spots in the Sant’Antioco’s island, practically all for expert riders.
- The Kite Spot of Punta Trettu, perhaps one of the best kite spot of Europe.
- The Kite Spot of Porto Botte.
Also in the area of Cagliari, not so far from Funtanamare, there are very good kite-spots, e.g, Poetto and Petrol Beach .
One reply on “Kitesurfing Funtanamare Sardinia: tips and information on the kite-spot of Funtanamare”
[…] Kite Spot of Funtanamare […]