Are you new to kitesurfing? if yes, for sure you have many questions! Is kitesurfing hard to learn? Do I need kitesurfing lessons? How long it takes to learn to kitesurf? How do I choose the right kite school? What do I need to bring? Here under you will find a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), with answers, that beginners in kitesurfing ask when they like to start. Read them and enjoy the fun of kitesurfing!
- It is easy to learn kitesurfing? Is it easier to learn kitesurfing or windsurfing or surfing?
- How long does it take to learn kitesurfing?
- Am I too old to learn kitesurfing?
- Do I need to be sporty to learn kitesurfing?
- Is it dangerous to learn kitesurfing?
- How do I choose the right kiteschool to learn kitesurfing?
- Which characteristic should have the best kite spot for learning how to kitesurf?
- What should I take for my kitesurfing lessons?
- Where I can learn to kite surf while in holiday and meet other people?
- Should I book my kite lessons online from home or could I book once onsite?
Learn Kitesurfing is easy for everybody, especiallyfor those people that have good fitness and good sport attitudes. To learn kitesurf at a good level is generally easier than windsurf and surf. Learning kitesurf is incredible fast and will give you immediade incredible emotions. Also windsurfing and surfing give great emotions but kitesurfing has something more.
The time needed to learn kitesurfing depends a lot on your attitude, on the type of lesson (private or group), on the spot conditions of the spot where you will have lessons and on ability of the instructor. conditions on the water and the consistency of the wind. Usually a kite surf beginner’s course is around 9 – 12 hours, that is the minimum you need to arrive at the waterstart. Some people might learn it in less time and some might need more time. After the water start you are recommended to take the needed lessons to be really independent.
You are never too old to learn to kitesurf. We saw people of 72 years old that learned to kitesurf!
No, you do not need to be super sporty! You need to be in a good healty.
If you take kitesurfing lessons with an official kite school, to learn kitesurfing is not dangerous at all. But kitesurfing can be really dangerous if you don’t know what you are doing. So avoid the do it by yourself! Taking proper kite lessons, learn kitesurfing will be safe, easy and fast to learn!
The biggest danger when learning how to kitesurf is not having proper kitesurf lessons with an official kiteschool!
Here under the list of factors you should check to choose a good kite school for learning kitesurf:
- Certified Kite School: The Kite School and Kite Instructors should all be certified by one of kite surf organizations like VDWS.
- Update Kite Equipment: The kite equipment shall be have up-to-date, better if from the current season to guarantee the correct safety. The right kite school is the school that is giving you all the kite equipment (e.g Kite, Board, Wetsuit, Helmet, socks, etc) that are necessary for the kite lessons.
- English Speakers: Do the teachers speak your language or a language you can speak well? Ask beforehand if the teachers speak your language or a language you feel comfortable with. Big schools usually have teachers from different nationalities. Learning kitesurfing is exciting enough so you should be able to understand your teacher easily.
- Kite School reputation: by now, through reviews, you can understand the reputation of a kite school. Look for a school that has several and, above all, good reviews.
The ideal spot for kite lessons should have the following characteristics:
- flat water – Learning kitesurfing in muche easier with the flat water than in other conditions like waves or choppy water.
- Shallow water – if the spot where you will have kite lessons has shallow water, it will be easier to learn kitesurfing because you can stand up anytime is necessary.
- Good wind – Learning to kitesurf with gusty wind is really hard. If, in the kite spot where you will learn to kitesurf, there is consistent and stable wind, it will be easier to learn kitesurfing.
- No obstacles in the water – no currents: In an ideal world you just have a sandy beach with no reefs or rocks in the water and no trees which are very close by beach.
- Space on the water and on the beach – There is nothing worse than a tiny crowded beach or an insanely crowded spot with a lot of kite surf beginners who tangle their lines.
- Warm temperatures: Warm water: I personally could only learn kitesurfing at a warm spot since I get cold super fast.
if you have chosen a good kite school, they will provide all the kite equipment required for the kitesurfing lessons (the required equipment depends a bit on the spot). In addition, we recommend:
- Clothing: take your swimsuit, towel, and a sweatshirt (also in summer) for after kite class.
- Sun Protection: take a high, long-lasting sunscreen (SPF +50).
- Head Protection: A cap to protect you from the sun (better to have a cap even if you should get a helmet for kite lessons).
- Sunglasses: take sunglasses for the kite lessons since you will be constantly looking at the kite, against the sun.
- Water and Snack: Water to stay hydrated, maybe a few nuts and dry fruits or a banana to get some quick energy.
- Right attitude: Smile, have fun while larning kitesurfing and be positive! You will learn super quickly!
It will depend on where you will go for your holiday. We suggest to have a look online for getting information about the kite schools around the place you will go.
If you don’t know yet your next holiday destination and are still planning your trip, we suggest Punta Trettu in Sardinia. This Kite Spot is one of the best Kite Spots in Europe, famous for the following characteristics:
- flat water,
- Shallow water,
- Good wind,
- No obstacles in the water,
- Space on the water and on the beach,
- Warm temperatures.
Here in Punta Trettu you will find for sure more people to share great moments and emotions!
We suggest you to book in advance because if you book once there the kite instructors can be full booked or the best teachers can be already booked. Then, booking in advance, you can get some special offer or discount.
You may question: ” And if there will be no wind, what will happen?”. You can ask directly to the schools, but if have chosen the right school, they have for sure a solution!